Familiar with Navier-Stokes equations;
- Familiar with processes describing the transport of momentum, matter and energy in laminar flows;
- Familiar with stability theories of flows;
- Knowledge of elementary aspects of the transition from laminar to turbulent flows;
- Able to perform a scaling analysis based on the magnitude of terms in the Navier-Stokes equations, requiring in any given flow the identification of dominating force balances;
- Able to compute elementary flow and transport quantities (e.g. mass flux).
- Able to formulate and solve fluid mechanics problems in Python.
The course on Fluid Mechanics and transport phenomena gives particular attention to the mathematical description of fluid (and gas) motion. The description of transport of mass, momentum, matter and energy in these currents takes a central place. The course is a follow-up of those on Classical Mechanics and Relativity and employs mathematics given in the introductory courses ‘Wiskunde technieken 1, 2 and 3’. The goal of the course is to provide an introduction of concepts and mathematical techniques needed to solve a wide spectrum of problems in fluid mechanics.