After completing the course, the student
- will understand that the current level of Artificial Intelligence in computer games is very low
- will understand that adding Artificial Intelligence to game characters is not always useful. The student
- will have learned in which cases Artificial Intelligence techniques can help to achieve the goal of any game: more attractive game play.
- will have experienced that adding Artificial Intelligence to a computer game can be hard in practice.
- will understand the difficulties of applying Artificial Intelligence techniques in concrete computer games.
- will know which Artificial Intelligence techniques are suited for application in the computer game environments and which are not.
In this course the use of AI techniques in games is explored, for instance in serious gaming and training. Distributing game control over several independently operating agents is discussed, several path-planning techniques useful for computer games are investigated, and dynamic re-planning algorithms useful for dealing with dynamic environments are described. Furthermore, machine learning techniques such as evolutionary algorithms with neural networks are discussed, as well as some techniques and solutions for multi-agent cooperation.