Business and Sustainability Challenges
Categorie / Niveau
Graduate School Geowetenschappen;
M Science and Innovation Management;
dr. S.O. Negro
(02-09-2013 t/m 10-11-2013)
A: MA-ochtend, DI-namiddag, WO-ochtend
vanaf 19-08-2013 t/m 20-08-2013
Inschrijven via OSIRIS
Inschrijven voor bijvakkers
The objective of this course is to introduce the students to the sustainability challenges and discourses and the role that companies are playing in this (whether impacting negatively or positively).
After completion of the course, the student is able to:
● understand the global sustainability challenges
● evaluate the major sustainability oriented alternatives (technological, managerial, and organisational)
● evaluate the importance of systems and life cycle thinking
● evaluate the role and impacts that businesses have on the environment and societies (positive and negative)
● evaluate how businesses can influence the context they are operating in, and vice versa how the context pressurises the businesses to act/change in a sustainable way
Sustainability has grown into a societal paradigm that cannot be ignored by firms. Consumers, citizens, NGOs and policy makers clearly express the demand that firms innovate and do business in a way that is socially responsible. Firms know that they need to deal with this growing societal demand but struggle in their efforts realizing this. Path dependencies, lack of knowledge and internal resistance to change make change difficult. This course, therefore, offers preliminary insight in sustainability challenges, technological options that can be used by firms to produce in a more environmental friendly manner and social science knowledge that creates insight in the behavior of organizations, stakeholders involved and organizational change and innovation.
Through lectures and guest lectures by experts and businesses we will discuss the global challenges and how they affect firms to change their practices. What kind of strategies do they have to change their practices within the firm? What kind of strategies do they have to change the context in which they operate? Which kind of technological options can they apply to achieve the change?
Theories that will be treated in this course are:
- Corporate Sustainability (focusing on the role of businesses in contributing technically, managerially, and organisationally to sustainability)
- Advocacy coalitions and Corporate Political Activities – building of coalitions/lobby groups
- Institutional theories/~ entrepreneurship – strategies that entrepreneurs can apply to change regulations in their favor
- Innovation Systems and clusters – innovation does not occur in isolation but in the context of a network with many other actors that interact with each other that are influenced by each other and by institutions
The challenges that will discussed and presented by experts will be about Climate Change, Energy, Water, Food and Health.
Je moet ingeschreven staan voor de volgende opleiding:
- Sustainable Business and Innovation
List of scientific articles