Please note: the information in the course manual is binding.
After completion of the course, the student is able to:
- Recognize and explain the SDGs and their targets, as representations of integrated global goals, and how different SDGs are related;
- Recognize, explain and reflect upon the positions of different global actors with regard to the SDGs;
- Evaluate what has been achieved on the SDGs thus far, and critically reflect upon the progress;
- Explain how the different societal actors can contribute to reaching the SDGs and what the obstacles to moving from global goals such as the SDGs to action are;
- Work in a multidisciplinary team on a convincing report to the UN Secretary General that outlines how the UN could support global engagement with specific SDGs.
This course will focus on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), a set of seventeen ‘global goals’ organized by the United Nations through a process of deliberation with its 194 member states and civil society organizations in 2015. Each of these goals has specific targets to be achieved in the next 15 years, with roles for many actors including governments, the private sector and civil society.|
In this course, we will focus on the challenge of achieving the Sustainable Development Goals and the targets that are attached to them, to understand the challenges and possibilities of moving from global goals to action. Lectures and group projects will focus on the seventeen SDGs with special attention to the connections between the issues associated with the different goals.
The course will feature a high level of interaction with a wide range of societal actors, including global and national private sector, civil society, intergovernmental and media. The second half of the course will have students working together with 35+ national governments and other national actors on SDG implementation planning. We will also collaborate with the Utrecht City Council for a symposium on the SDGs.
This course is the entry requirement for:
- Bachelor’s thesis GSS (GEO3-2422)
|Je moet voldoen aan de volgende eisen|
- Ingeschreven voor een opleiding van de faculteit Faculteit Geowetenschappen
- Ingeschreven voor één van de volgende opleidingen
- Global Sustainability Science
- Alle onderstaande cursussen zijn behaald
- GSS-Research Skills GSS (GEO1-2415)
- GSS-Regional Integration Project (GEO1-2416)
|Besides the entry requirements mentioned above the student also must have participated fully in Statistics (GEO2-2217)||Verplicht materiaal|
|We will provide a number of leading journal articles and book chapters on the SDGs from different track perspectives. Three articles/chapters per lecture will be required reading for the first four lectures and the exam – additional reading for the|Werkvormen
AlgemeenThe course will start off with general lectures. In the lectures, you will be introduced to the 17 Sustainable Development Goals – their history, their makeup, future pathways, and early evidence of implementation. Different track perspectives will be combined to offer a multi-dimensional understanding of the SDGs. In addition, guest lectures representing different stakeholder groups (government, civil society, private sector, media) will explain how they take the Sustainable Development Goals
Voorbereiding bijeenkomstenDesignated reading will be required for lectures.
AlgemeenThe tutorials focus on two study projects – one in which groups work on specific combinations of SDGs to develop a global perspective and one in which groups work with real national governments around the world, and other national-level actors, on national SDG challenges and implementation planning.
Voorbereiding bijeenkomstenDefined progress in the individual and group projects is expected between tutorials.
Bijdrage aan groepswerkEqual and significant participation in group work is expected from all students. Group projects will be given an overall grade. In exceptional cases where groups run into problems related to uneven contributions, they can discuss with the course coordinator to have individual grades assigned.
BeoordelingYou will be assessed on an exam, a group presentation on a set of integrated SDGs globally, and a report for one of 35+ national governments (real clients) on national SDG challenges and implementation.
Aspecten van academische vorming
| • Academisch denken, werken en handelen • Bestuderen en analyseren van informatie • Gestructureerd beoordelen van activiteiten en prestaties (van anderen en van zichzelf) • Samenwerken met anderen, werken in teamverband • Wetenschappelijke context • Maatschappelijke / culturele context • Ethisch perspectief • Voorbereiden / opzetten van onderzoek • Materiaal / data analyseren en verwerken • Rapporteren over onderzoek - schriftelijk • Rapporteren over onderzoek - mondeling |