After completing the module the student is able to:
- Distinguish and describe the phases of drug discovery.
- Know how the drug discovery cycle works, where screening leads to more and more optimised lead compounds.
- Understand and apply the techniques to find and make new active molecules.
- Know the strengths and weaknesses of novel techniques of drug target finding and evaluation.
- Understand what the drug will do in the body and which tests are needed before it can be used in a clinical setting.
- Come up with ideas about drug delivery and targeting for drugs, vaccines and genes.
- Have a profound understanding of the possibilities and restrictions of drug discovery strategies.
- Be acquainted with the UIPS research groups.
- Apply knowledge to an important medical problem.
- Systematically solve problems and perform literature research.
- Make and present a study design and a research proposal.
- Work in an international, multidisciplinary team.
Description of content
The consecutive steps of the current paradigm are discussed following the course book of H.P.Rang. We begin with the history of Drug Discovery. Then we discuss choosing the project; choosing the target, finding a lead and optimising the lead. Supporting workshops will deal with bioinformatics, computer-assisted drug discovery, quantitative pharmacology. Furthermore, students will spend almost half of their time in teams that have to present an innovative research proposal
There will be a two-day excursion to the Dutch Medicines Days.
Send an e-mail to the administration (Studiepunt.firstname.lastname@example.org). The mail should contain 1) your name; 2) student number; 3) e-mail address; 4) telephone number; 5) current Master track. Please note: the number of participants is limited to 48. Only the first registrations can be accepted.
Mandatory for students in Master’s programme Drug Innovation: YES.
Optional for students in other Master’s programmes GS-LS: any other master programme with relevant basal courses.
This course is open to Bachelors of Science. Applicants are familiar with: molecular biology, biochemistry, pharmacology, organic chemistry.