After completion the course, the student: |
1. is acquainted with the different fields of biotechnology
2. is able to explain the important techniques underlying biotechnology
3. is able to design an experiment to solve a problem related to a biotechnological process (with emphasis on DNA and protein technologies)
4. is able to critically read primary literature related to the field of biotechnology
5. is able to discuss the ethical and legal problems related to biotechnology
6. is able to give a well-founded opinion on biotechnological applications
This course is an introduction in Biotechnology. It will give an overview of different fields in biotechnology (molecular techniques, bacterial biotechnology, fungal biotechnology, plant biotechnology, industrial biotechnology, medical biotechnology, animal biotechnology) with special emphasis on new developments. In addition, other aspects related to biotechnology, such as intellectual property rights, ethical concerns and the marketability of a product are discussed.
Lectures, guest lectures and assignments (individual and group). This is a full-time course and all lectures are compulsory: please only enroll if you are available every day, since you will not pass this class if you miss lectures.
Assignments (80%) and participation (20%)