At the end of the course, the student|
• Can describe the common features of qualitative research and the right terminology
• Will have knowledge about the research process involved in a basic qualitative study
• Will have knowledge of the ethical considerations involved in a basic qualitative study
• Can critically evaluate the suitability of a qualitative research design, sampling and data collection technique for use with different research questions
• Can select and employ appropriate forms of analysis of different kinds of qualitative data
• Can effectively design and conduct a small-scale qualitative research project including the write-up
• Can cite the key elements of quality assessment in qualitative research methods
• Can report a scientific research to an audience
Relation between assessment and objective
In this course students work on assignments throughout the course to acquire skills in conducting a qualitative research project. In the assignments students have to show awareness of the choices to be made in a qualitative research designs and decide what methods can best be used with respect to a specific research question.
This course explores qualitative research methodology and its application in the social sciences. The purpose of this course is thus to equip students to critically read, design, conduct, report, and evaluate qualitative research projects. The structure of the course starts with the theoretical principles underlying qualitative approaches and reflects the research process from generation of a research question, research design, ethical considerations, sampling, data collection, data-analysis to the writing of a good quality research report. The course therefore entails meetings involving theoretical lectures and practical exercises. To make sure the students are familiarized with the concrete application of qualitative methods, part of the course would also involve them working on their own research project (in groups). The students will have additional one to one meetings with their project supervisors to discuss their projects. During the final meeting, they will present the results of the same in the form of group presentation and project paper.|
In the seminars several experts in qualitative research, policy, evaluation and/or effect studies will discuss the theory behind the above mentioned aspects of qualitative research methods. Whereas the small-group session will be devotes to gaining the actual hands-on skills. During these meetings students will work on a small-scale qualitative research project within the context of answering policy, evaluation, or effect related research questions.