An oral exam and two practical assignments.
The grade of the course is calculated as follows:
To pass the course, all elements should be at least 5,5.
- Two practical assignments, in total 70%
- Oral, individual, exam (30%)
A repair test requires at least a 4 for the original test.
This course on software architecture deals with the concepts and best practices of software architecture.|
The focus is on theories explaining the structure of software systems and how system’s elements are meant to interact given the imposed quality requirements.
Topics of the course are:
- Architecture influence cycles and contexts
- Technical relations, development life cycle, business profile, and the architect’s professional practices
- Quality attributes: availability, modifiability, performance, security, usability, testability, and interoperability
- Architecturally significant requirements, and how to determine them
- Architectural patterns in relation to architectural tactics
- Architecture in the life cycle, including generate-and-test as a design philosophy; architecture conformance during implementation
- Architecture and current technologies, such as the cloud, social networks, and mobile devices
- Architecture competence: what this means both for individuals and organizations
Lectures, guest lectures from experienced software architects, and practical assignments on real-life architectures.
- Literature compulsory: Len Bass, Paul Clements, Rick Kazman (2012) "Software Architecture in Practice" (3rd Edition), SEI Series in Software Engineering, Addison Wesley Professional. ISBN 9780321815736.
- Literature recommended: N. Rozanski, E. Woods (2012) "Software Systems Architecture: Working with Stakeholders Using Viewpoints and Perspectives", Addison Wesley. ISBN 9780321718334. The latest edition, earlier editions differ too much.
- Literature recommended: R.N. Taylor, N. Medvidovic, E.M. Dashofy (2010) "Software Architecture: Foundations, Theory and Practice", Wiley. ISBN 9780470167748.
- Course related software, to be announced.