By the end of the course the student is able to:|
• adopt a critical and analytical attitude towards popular discourse on the use and impact of social media. [exam 1]
• analyze the interface of an online platform (based on the affordance theory and using semiotics). [exam 2]
• write a report that is scientifically sound and according to academic conventions on the design and results of an interface analysis. [exam 2]
• characterize the political, economic, social and / or cultural context in which online platforms operate. [exam 3]
• independently find, process and assess relevant professional literature in the field of use and the role of social media [exam 3]
• develop a well-founded argument on the use and/or impact of online platforms. [exam 3]
Social media are an important part of our daily life, both in private and professional context. Platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube are so well established in everyday life and increasingly shape how we communicate and relate to others. How do they structure relations between users and users to commercial and public institutions? Has the power relationship between producer and consumer indeed shifted to the side of the latter, as is often claimed? How do the principles of online platforms affect public values?|
In this second course of the Digital Communication specialisation students study online platforms, and learn to critically analyze the technological, economic and socio-cultural infrastructure that underlie the typical linguistic and audiovisual patterns of online expressions.
LAS and TCS students who follow this course as part of the core curriculum of their major, need to complete a compulsory preparation course/assignment. See for more information: https://tcs.sites.uu.nl/
Early Exit option for international exchange students (5 ECTS)|
Exchange students who are required to return to their home university before January, are allowed to choose an Early Exit option for this course. The Early Exit option means that students can finish the course before Christmas break, receiving 5 ECTS for the course. Students must make arrangements with the course coordinator at the start of the course.
Voorkennis kan worden opgedaan met
|Je moet voldoen aan de volgende eisen|
- Minimaal 1 van de onderstaande cursussen moet(en) zijn behaald
- New Media and Communication (CI1V17003)
- Introduction to New Media (ME2V15011)
Bronnen van zelfstudie
|CI1V17003 Ciw-Nieuwe Media en Communicatie|
|Lister, Martin et al. (2009). New media: A critical introduction. Londen: Routledge.||Verplicht materiaal|
|The Platform Society - Jose van Dijck, Martijn de Waal and Thomas Poell|
AlgemeenThe lectures will provide a framework for that weeks literature. The seminars are intended to engage with the literature
through discussions and practical (group)assignments
Voorbereiding bijeenkomstenStudents are expected to come prepared to the seminars meaning that they are able to engage with the assigned reading for that week. Additionally, they should bring to the session for discussion a news article that relates to one of the perspectives (technology, governance, businessmodels, content, ownership, usage) dealt with in the course.
Bijdrage aan groepswerkListening, making notes, asking questions, working together on group assignements, discussion, debating, presenting and participating in peer review.
BeoordelingThe capacity to:
1. to defend a thesis in a debate on a social media issue from popular discourse with the help of academic literature.
2. to carry out an interface analysis of a platform, and to articulate the results of that analysis in writing, and according to the academic conventions.
3. to write an essay in which a substantiated position is taken in relation to the use and / or impact of online platforms.
DeadlinesExam 1 (debate): is scheduled according to topic
Exam 2 (interface analysis): week 4
Exam 3 (essay): week 8
Aspecten van academische vorming
| • Academisch denken, werken en handelen • Communicatieve vaardigheden • Kennis hanteren in een bredere context • Hanteren van wetenschappelijk instrumentarium |